Day #13: Rough Seas, Greenland to Iceland

Friday, July 8, 2016

Rough Seas, Greenland to Iceland

The winds clocked at 30-32 knots, with swells of 4-5 meters as we sailed these 312.9 nautical miles to Iceland, so much so that the crew strung up stretchy grab ropes for us when we weren’t within easy reach of walls or railings. Fortunately, my trusty ginger chews did the trick for my stomach.

A Fresh Perspective

I used the time to catch up on notes, delve into the ship’s reference collection on Greenland, and connect with Steven Cox, a Harvard anthropologist who has spent his professional life studying the ancient pre-Inuit cultures. His reaction to our visit to Ittoqqoortoormiit was different from mine, more accepting of the impact of modern culture on indigenous islanders. I’m looking forward to following up on his research in the months ahead, and someday checking out Labrador and western Greenland.

Crossing below the Arctic Circle tonight brought a sickening, sad pang to my stomach. I am determined to find my way back to the Far North.  I will miss this midnight sun, the ice, the  and I need to find a way to experience the dark polar winter nights and aurora.

Sweet Consolation: We sheltered in a quiet Icelandic fjord this evening and enjoyed music and dancing thanks to The Spice Boys, the Explorer’s crew band.

More tremendous lectures today:

Michael Wysession, Global Perspectives Speaker: Implications for the Future of Global Energy Choices

Rich Reid, NG photographer: Polar Bears to Penguins– PowerPoint created for elementary school classes contrasting North and South Poles

Alyssa Adler: Romerfjord marine biology recap

Tom Ritchie: Pristine Seas, Lindblad Expeditions’ global project to preserve 13 major oceanic spots